Book sales are strange

I have to admit it, I cannot stop looking at the Amazon pages for my books....

I know it's an unhealthy habit more likely to cause disappointment than joy but I still do it. What surprised me today is that my oldest book is number 2 in the Amazon UK Sherlock Holmes chart and my second is at number 11. These are books published in 2008 and 2009 respectively.

One of the missing...
My first book, Eliminate the Impossible, is the most dated for the simple reason that it looked at film and TV adaptations and did so up to 2007. As a result it misses the Robert Downey Jr films, BBC's Sherlock and Elementary. This is a fact I am occasionally criticised for in reviews as if I'm to blame for lacking the second sight in 2007 to see these things coming before I published (seriously reviewers, read the publication date before you complain about what's not featured).

My remaining three books are the mini-biographies of Arthur Conan Doyle which just goes to remind us that the creation is likely to remain more popular than the creator.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. So much of what did and did not happen to Sherlock Holmes and Watson can be traced back, to some degree or other, to the life of their creator. Understand him and so much of the Sherlockian world will make more sense to you (plus it could put some cash in my pocket).


Written by Alistair Duncan Buy my books here

Comments

Popular Posts